Digital Nomads are individuals that leverage technology in order to work remotely and live an independent and nomadic lifestyle.
That means work wherever you want however you want. Sound too good to be true? Well, it definitely is not! Bloggers, artists, writers and entrepreneurs all over the world have found a way to embrace this unique lifestyle.
So what does that really mean?
- People who refuse to work 9-5 jobs or be tied down to forced work routine, not of their own design
- People who have a goal of being entirely self-sufficient based on successful internet based businesses
- People who often prefer to be untethered to any particular location. Most nomads prefer to travel and expanding their worldly knowledge of adventure and culture.
- Simply put, they are people who are extremely passionate and their passion exceeds a singular career archetype
I know we all say we’d love to do something like this, perhaps over cocktails at a party and murmur how it would be nice just to get up and leave and travel the world. Or how it would be nice to start a business and be your own boss. So why don’t we follow our passions?
Meet Jenny, a nomad in progress
Jenny has a Ph.D. in Science. She has dedicated over 10 years of her life buried in books and working in labs. Despite these many years of education and career, Jenny chose to abandon the science lab and embrace the path of becoming a nomad. If that isn’t a passion I don’t know what is.
So what did Jenny do differently? She took several steps that transitioned her away from her singular career path. These steps include:
- Creating squarehippie.com. SquareHippie.com is a lifestyle blog dedicated to her passions for travel and being self-sufficient.
- Creating The Digital Nomad Challenge – She created a challenge for herself that will help ensure her success to full freedom. She keeps track of all her goals and makes everything quantifiable. She evaluates different freelance jobs and tasks and evaluates if they are financially viable for her goal. If one process doesn’t pay well enough or pan out she doesn’t get discouraged. Based on her process of elimination she edges closer every day to becoming a true self-sufficient digital nomad. How cool is that? I encourage you all to visit her page and join her in her challenge.
As you can see it doesn’t matter what your background is, where you came from, what degree you have or how much money you have. Your passions should ultimately drive the life you lead.
Embracing the life of a digital nomad can absolutely be accomplished as you can see by Jenny’s story. Get out there and try the challenge!